Who is eligible for VITA Services?
The VITA Program offers free tax help to individuals and families low –to moderate- income (generally, $60,000 and below)
What do I need to bring with me on my visit with VITA?
The following items are needed to prepare your tax return:
- Proof of Identification—Drivers License or Photo I.D.
- Social Security Card or Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN) for you, your spouse and dependents
- Birth dates for you, your spouse and dependents on the tax return
- Wage and earning statement(s) Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R, from all employers
- Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099-INT)
- A copy of last year’s Federal and State returns if available
- Bank Routing Numbers and Account Numbers for Direct Deposit
- Total paid for day care provider and the day care provider’s tax identifying number (the provider’s Social Security Number or the provider’s business Employer Identification Number)
- To file taxes electronically on a married filing joint tax return, BOTH spouses must be present to sign the required forms
Use this easy checklist to to ensure you have everything you need for tax preperation. English ... Espanol
Frequently Asked Questions
Questions about taxes you filed with us?
Email email@example.com or call (210) 207-2817 or (210) 207-1711. We will return your email or phone call as soon as possible.
Where’s my refund?
If you haven’t received your refund yet, go to www.irs.gov and use the “Where’s my refund?” tool. You will need to have your tax return in hand.
Where can I get a copy of my tax return transcript or tax account transcript?
You can obtain a “free” copy by:
- Online- Order your transcript online by visiting www.irs.gov .
- Phone- Order your transcript by calling 1-800-908-9946
- Mail- Print and fill out Form 4506-T (http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f4506t.pdf), then mail or fax it to the address listed on the form.
- In person- Visit our Year Round Tax Clinic and have one of our VITA Volunteers assists you in obtaining your “free” transcript.
Do you only prepare taxes during the tax season?
During the filing season we have over 20 VITA sites located in San Antonio. After April 18th all seasonal sites are shut down and will not reopen till the following year in January. If you missed the opportunity to file your current or prior year taxes you can visit the Year Round Tax Clinics.